Powered By Blogger

Barbara Kurtz

Barbara Kurtz
Yoga Instructor & Yoga Therapist

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It is difficult for me to confess that as a yoga professional I am dealing with serious health issues. There is the general image of a yoga instructor who is always flexible, strong and healthy in body, mind and spirit.

Then again I will be turning 65 in January and in truth many yoga teachers are dealing with health problems.

But these issues provide a great opportunity for me to see if my work is applicable and helpful for myself.

As a yoga therapist I am designing Viniyoga routines including Ayurvedic principles to address different health issues due to stress, anxiety and chronic pain. For more information on how to include Ayurveda and its products and treatments, I invite you to check out my friend Andy Warren's website - The Ayurvedic Health and Massage Center in the Seattle University area and on the internet.

In my case, I am currently dealing with three issues.

1)  bipolar disorder - I have been dealing with bipolar, also called manic depression, since 1980.  There is no cure but it is a manageable condition, traditionally treated with an assortment of medications.

Personally, I am in the process of working with my psychiatrist and therapist to reduce my reliance on medications and instead to incorporate an anxiety reducing and calming Viniyoga practice including pranayama specific for reducing stress and insomnia. In addition, I am adding a few simple Ayurvedic treatments, such as oil massage in the morning, as well.

I am also looking closer at my diet to support my health by incorporating more fruit and vegetables in my freshly prepared meals.

3) insomnia - This is partially due to the bipolar disorder and partially due to age.  Presently I am on a sleeping medication and supplementing with melantonin. The calming yoga routine with a specific pranayama technique helps with that issue as well.

2) recurring upper back problem - Since I returned to teaching and particular when I work at the computer I have pain in my upper back and neck.  I am using massage therapy but what is helping the most is again the  Viniyoga routine that addresses back pain issues.

The yoga program for all three issues takes about 20 minutes to do. I practice it 2 to 4 x a day including one before going to bed.

So I hope this post is valuable to some of you knowing that yoga together with Ayurveda is health enhancing. It works for me and it may work for you as long as the practice is tailored to your specific needs and limitations.

By the way I want to mention that I enjoy my 20 minute yoga routine very much. It's very calming, health enhancing and yet energizing. It does not take much time and it is really no burden for me to do it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOGA FOR YOUR TYPE

Barbara teaches Viniyoga classes and has a private yoga therapy practice in Seattle on Queen Anne. She uses principles of Viniyoga, a highly adaptive style of yoga - using coordinated breath and movement in poses (asanas) which can be adapted to the experience level of the client and student. This allows for a highly enjoyable yoga experience which integrates body, mind and spirit.

Barbara has also an educational background in Ayurveda and uses Ayurvedic principles in her private practice in addition to Viniyoga to create yoga practices that are perfectly suited for the student's or client's constitution (dosha). Find out your dosha and visit the website of Ayurvedic Health and Massage center on information about Ayurveda, Ayurvedic services and products.